If you plan to be a candidate for Honors in your senior year, it is important to know the following:
- Know your department’s policy regarding thesis tutorials; most require two consecutive semesters of thesis tutorial. Be sure that you register for the tutorial that your department requires of Honors candidates; for most students this will be DEPT409 in Fall 2021 and DEPT410 in Spring 2022.You must add the tutorial online during the Drop/Add period each semester. If you intend to submit your thesis for honors consideration in more than one department, indicate that on your tutorial enrollment request form.
- Once confirmed by your department(s), each candidate registered for the appropriate tutorial is considered an Honors candidate by the Honors Committee. Students who are confirmed will be notified in early October.
Special Cases: Those who will complete course work in December 2021, candidates for Honors in General Scholarship, and University majors must contact Susan Krajewski. Students who complete their studies in December are now required to submit their honors thesis on the first day of classes in the following spring semester. So December completions who are members of the Class of 2022 must register their thesis by 4pm on January 20, 2022. For students interested in pursuing Honors in General Scholarship, a comprehensive application process must be followed. Complete information about this process is available at https://www.wesleyan.edu/registrar/honors/general_scholarship.html. Spring applications for General Scholarship were due Friday, April 30, 2021. The late submission application deadline to pursue Honors in General Scholarship is 4pm on Friday, September 17, 2021.
Departmental Honors: To receive Honors upon graduation, all candidates must fulfill the Honors requirements of the major department. Be sure that you know what your department requires. Criteria for supervising and evaluating candidates rests solely with the academic department. Follow your department’s procedure to obtain a tutor. If you are pursuing honors in more than one department, the honors decisions are made independently so you may receive honors from one department and credit only from the other.
The Jellybean Papers: Further considerations on writing the senior thesis and answers to many questions are available in the Jellybean Papers (known as such because they were once printed on brightly-colored paper). Copies of the 2021/2022 version may be found online at: http://www.wesleyan.edu/registrar/honors/jelly_bean_papers/index.html#jelly
Note: All honors theses are now bound double-sided. Please make sure to pay special attention to the new margin requirements and other formatting instructions in the Jellybean Papers to ensure your final thesis PDF adheres to all standards and expectations for double-sided manuscripts.
Thesis Carrels: This year the Library is returning to a shared thesis carrel process. Seniors who intend to write an honors thesis are invited to apply for a thesis carrel. The carrel application will open September 6th in WesPortal and will close on September 17th. You must be enrolled in a thesis tutorial or other course designated for honors in order to retain any thesis carrel you are assigned to. A list of confirmed honors candidates will be provided to Olin after drop/add closes and students who are not enrolled in the necessary course work, will be asked to vacate their carrel space. Contact Jessica Steele in Olin Library for more information about their process.
Important deadlines for 2022 Honors candidates
- September 6, 2021: Thesis Carrel Applications open in WesPortal. The application link is in theLibrary bucket.
- September 17, 2021: Final day of Drop/Add registration for the Fall tutorial. Register online inFall 2021 during Drop/Add for the first half of your thesis (DEPT409).
- September 17, 2021: Study carrel applications due by 4pm. Contact Jessie Steele in Olin Library for more information.
- October 12, 2021: Students can check their WesPortal to see what partner and carrel assignment they received if they applied.
- October 15, 2021: Students must pick up their thesis carrel keys by 4pm at the Olin Library Reserve Desk. Last day to pick up carrel keys is October 22, 2021.
- January 20, 2022: Early thesis registration deadline for December Completions.
- February 2, 2022: Final day of Drop/Add registration for the Spring tutorial. Register online in Spring2022 during Drop/Add for the second half of your thesis (DEPT410).
- April 14, 2022: Theses due by 4pm (no extensions possible)
- April 28, 2022: Department recommendations due. All performances and exhibitions completed